Monday, October 03, 2005

You can shower with a half liter of water.

It was a weekend without water in most of Dakar. Scenes of village life played out all over the city with people going to the few places with water to fill multi-colored buckets and then to balance them slowly on their heads to be carried through the streets back to their homes. But, (big sigh here) it seems all things are made more complicated because we live in a city and not in a village--conveniences make life easier but more complex and life without those conveniences means annoyance but maybe simplicity on some levels. It feels like a lot of the cultural values that I read about or have learned about since being here are (potentially?) slowly eroding or are below a surface of mistrust or dishonesty (whichever be the case). Dakar is an ever-shifting city filled with much diversity, but it doesn't seem to represent the traditional Senegal that I hear so much about, instead people develop city-survival-skills and in the process lose some of their traditions and, really, some of their culture. Not that there isn't "culture" in Dakar, it's just one that has been tainted/influenced by a city, good or bad, it forces people to change the way they live, changes their priorities, and changes their needs too. In two weeks, I'm taking a trip into the interior of Senegal, and I'm looking forward to the doors of understanding it's going to open both in having a better perspective of what this country looks like, but also, maybe I'll finally get a peak at the more traditional culture that I feel I've heard so much about, but have difficulty uncovering here. On the other hand, the trip might just cause my hypothesis to change or to be disproven, and I want to leave room for that.

1 Comments:

At 4/10/05 21:01, Blogger jfugleberg said...

The city does change people, even as they heed its siren call. But I know one thing - getting out of the city can be the difference between mental compression and sanity.

I'm going to the desert for four days this weekend. I'm going to breathe a lot of fresh air....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker