Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Safe and sound in Dakar - Alhamdullah

Twenty seven hours of travel and three continents later, I've never been so happy to reach a place. And Dakar is a place you learn to love. Meaning, it's certainly not automatic. And maybe being home was the time I needed to fully appreciate this (my) dirty African city which I plan to call home for six more months (inshallah -- god willing). A common expression here is "alhamdullah" meaning thanks to god. It's written on most cars probably because traffic here is so crazy and you often fear for your life (I'm being dramatic -- sort of), so really you would give thanks to allah just to make it to your destination. I do. One also says "alhamdullah" in most conversations going something like this, -"How are you?" -"I am good. Alhamdullah."-"How's the family? Is anyone sick?" -"No, alhamdullah." So as I touched ground in Dakar, the Senegalse guy next to me uttered "alhamdullah," and I said, "y0, that's what I'm talking about. Alhamdullah.

A day in the life of this voyager -- three currencies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker