Monday, March 27, 2006

Back from Mauritania-land

Getting back to Dakar early last week, we found the city'd been in rolling blackouts since we left. Electricity is still pretty scattered. Sometimes we have it in the evenings, sometimes the mornings, some places have it the entire day, but not the next. Apparently the power company and the government are in dispute about how much money is owed, and there are rumors of politicians skimming off the top, but no one knows for sure. But not having power made for a fitting return. After days traveling through the desert, it made it easier to deal with the bustle of Dakar and gave me a few extra days to recover before looking at my emails or the news.

Finally getting online today with my laptop, I want to start writing about my trip, but I'm not sure where to start. It was an incredible journey both in physical distance and in learning, so I'm going to try to post about it day-by-day. That way it gives me time to sort through it and gives you time to follow it piece-by-piece.


1 Comments:

At 1/4/06 00:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow what a wonderment! tim's right, this one needs to be framed, it captures the beauty and serenity of the desert. love mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker